In early 1912, the first holiness meeting in the Vanceboro area was held at the home of Dick Morris in the Piney Neck community. From that meeting, Holly Hill Pentecostal Holiness Church was birthed. Under the ministry of Reverend Bob Hodges, the church was chartered later that year.
The early membership grew, and the group met for a while at Juniper Chapel School and then built a small brush arbor for use during the summer months. By the winter they had constructed a small building. The original structure is embedded within the current sanctuary.
Holly Hill Church has a deep history grounded in the roots of the Brush Arbor Revivals that were entwined together with the Pentecostal Movement of God in the early 1900s. The heritage of Holly Hill Church family is the story of a rich faith developed through passionate worship and the empowered preaching of God’s Holy Word and through the anointing of the Holy Spirit.
The church today, rich in history is still thriving and is relevant to the generation. Many of the descendants of these charter and early members are now carrying on the ministries and continuing to fulfill the vision of the founders.
With the heritage from the past and the vision for the future, Holly Hill Church will continually be preparing the way for generations of our church family to proclaim the gospel so that they, too, will reach and impact their world for Jesus Christ.